Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Imperfect Rider

I have a book, Dressage for the Not-So-Perfect Horse. There should be a book titled, Dressage for the Not-So-Perfect Rider!

Most of my life, I've given myself excuses, such as, "when I lose weight", "when I the kids don't need so much attention", or "when we have a little extra money."  And so on.  This time, I just sucked it up and got on the horse.  And, that's really my mantra for when it's too cold, or I'm too tired or feeling a little sick or hungover:  "Suck it up and get on your horse, Scot."

Actually, I don't think I call myself "Scot".  I think I call myself either "asshole" or "you".

And, most of the time, I don't really know what I'm doing.  It's one thing to read about an exercise or have someone on the ground explain the aids for a movement, and it's a completely different thing to be bouncing around in a sitting trot on a1300-pound, opinionated mare, trying to keep me balanced, her balanced, and maintain the perfect geometry of a 20 meter circle. Plus, maintain impulsion, an elastic contact, and proper bend.

"Inside leg to outside rein."

"I said, inside leg to outside rein."

Oh, yeah.  That concept.  Intellectually, I get it.  As a matter of fact, I "get" a lot of concepts; my brain is much more developed than my physical experience in the saddle.

And I'm stubborn and self-loathing.  In the same thought pattern I can experience, "I'm going to get this if it kills me" and (having just passed the mirror) "Who is that fat fool bouncing around on the beautiful horse?"

Then, there are times when someone will say something positive about my riding and the way Princess and I are working together, and I don't know whether to thank them for their kindness, but know in my heart that it is really just kindness, or to offer them compensation to say it again, only louder and while I have my phone on record.

I have a John Irving quotation written above my grain and breeding white board in the barn: "Take your lack of talent seriously."

I love this quotation.  It doesn't imply that you can't do something; it realistically points out that you probably and perfectly suited for the desired task, but you can do something about it and still succeed.  That's where I'm at.

Some of my happiest moments in the past two years have been when Princess and I have a break-through, or even just a nice moment together. Progress in dressage is slow.  You really have to enjoy the relationship with your horse and absolutely cherish and celebrate the little victories.

Random thoughts.  I know.  It's a blog.


2 comments:

  1. The day Princess came truly under in a repeatable half step (piaffe) transition this summer was a highlight in 2013. You had trained the steps required to get past second level, it was a fantastic transformation

    ReplyDelete